Wednesday, May 16, 2012

May 16th: Banjara Basti children

Today was the funnest morning yet. I know "funnest" is not a word, but just roll with me people. We left for Banjara Basti at 7:30. It takes about twenty minutes to drive across the village. The kids were in class when we got there. We were all so excited! We got them in a line and the teacher washed their hands. This is why we brought donated soaps and shampoos etc over!

We then handed out chapati and some curried peppers.
After that, they washed their own dishes from a tap and class resumed. Quinn and I sat in the back and helped two girls copy the English and Hindi alphabet as well as numbers, one to fifty, out. We clap and smile and give them hugs when they get them right. I could seriously do this forever. While this was happening, a boy that was sitting in front of me reached back and wiped the sweat off my forehead. It was the grossest and most precious thing I have ever witnessed. My heart swells every time I think about it.

After the lesson we sang Head and Shoulders and then they sang us a song saying bye. It was adorable. We got to play a little more. I have never given so many airplane rides in my life.  I read an English book out to a couple of students and chatted with the teacher. They walked us out to the tuk tuks. They give us loads of hugs and kisses. I didn't take a lot of photos cause I was having too much fun. We stopped at the store on the way home and got some things and then came home! This guy, probably around my age, was talking to us on his bike while we were sitting on the back of the tuk tuk. He asked me where we were from and if he spoke English well. He did! He said he goes to school and he wanted to become a doctor when he is older. Adorable. We're just waiting on lunch now. Work starts at five tonight.

Torry Harris
DWC Student Team Leader
Sikar, India: May 2012

No comments: